Tommy says you can use Catalina Offshore products Catalina's Choice solid packed tuna or your own jarred tuna or even steamed tuna. They all taste great. Tommy's Portuguese Tuna Salad can be an appetizer with crackers and vegetables or an amazing tuna melt. It is all your choice and all delicious and worth a try.
- 6 oz can of Catalina'a choice Soild Pack Tuna in Olive Oil (don't drain) or your own, you can also use steamed tuna as well.
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar (more to taste)
- 1/4 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- In a bowl mix together tuna, vinegar, onion, bell pepper, capers and garlic and onion powders. Season with salt and pepper and additional olive oil to taste. Serve with crackers or vegetables, or use for sandwich filling. to make the BEST tuna melt ever, use a high quality sourdough and sliced Swiss or sharp white cheddar! Store salad in airtight container in refrigerator for up to a week.
- Adapted from Tommy's original recipe which uses fresh steamed tuna. [caption id="attachment_12818" align="alignnone" width="337"] Full recipe card[/caption]