Welcome to a new segment we are calling “Catching up with Anglers!”
We love to stay in touch with our Searcher family to share 🎣fish stories, recreate the excitement, swap tackle tips, reunite with old friends and maybe make new ones. We thought it would be fun to see how our anglers are holding up and share some of their stories. Hopefully they can give you ideas of things we can be doing with your time or help you feel better. Let’s catch an angler.
Today we have a special angler who is a staple on the Searcher. He is not only an incredible angler, but a first responder. We are so thankful for all you do and for being a part of the Searcher family. And thank you for your service, Kevin!
Name: Kevin Justen
From: Huntington Beach, California
Job Titles: Senior Administrative Analyst, Huntington Beach Fire Department
Day in the life during quarantine: Being in the Fire Department, there is too much to do to keep our City safe and our Firefighters safe. Conditions change constantly but, fortunately, the infection and fatality rates in our city are not too high. However, this has been an “All In” experience, one of the most intense of my life.
- Challenges during quarantine: Doing everything differently. Also, the days are are long and the days off few.
- Tackle Tip: 1. Always listen to the crew. They know best. 2. Enough can’t be said about the importance of a lively bait. The extra time spent selecting a good bait is well worth it.
- Benefits of this tackle tip: You catch more fish!
- What’s on tv: Big Bang Theory is always good for a laugh. I’m looking forward to the History Channel special on U.S. Grant. The book it is based on was great.
- New stuff you dig: I’ve learned to value the little things and to treasure my family and friends more. A phone call with a friend or a walk with my wife are much more meaningful now.
- Weird thing you’ve done: Watched the Tiger King documentary. Those guys are nuts!
- What’s in/must have in your tackle box: Lots of hook sizes and types. I prefer ringed hooks. Fluorocarbon, of course.
- Anything you have stocked up on: Plants and seeds for getting my vegetable garden in.
- Favorite fish dish: Grilled Yellowtail for fish tacos. I use Italian dressing for marinade.
- Motivation: Getting through this time with my family and coworkers okay in the end. This disease is scary!
Fish you are looking forward to catching: Wahoo, the great gamefish. Yellowtail and Yellowfin are great too! However, any time on the Searcher is fun, enjoyable, exciting and full of laughs.