Here’s a new “Ask A Captain” question we received recently,
A question for any of the Captains :
With Tackle Day coming up, I want to stock up on terminal gear for a fall 6-day Guadalupe Island trip. Given the size of fish & conditions this year, what are your
1) Hook type / sizes and quantity, for both tuna and yellowtail?
2) Mono top shot and leader? Length and test weight for each specie? Thanks!
Before he departed on our current trip to the island, Captain Art was available to send me an answer!
Here it is:
Happy to share a shopping list with you.
Regarding hooks, here’s my recommendations:
- Owner hooks for tuna – 3/0 & 4/0 circle hooks
- Owner hooks for yellowtail – 3/0 to 5/0 live bait gorilla hooks for flylining and dropper loop rigs.
- Watch our “Hook Selection” how-to video here (scroll to bottom): Captain’s Tackle Technique videos
Top shot items:
- Tuna: 80-100 pound mono top shot (about 100 feet) for tuna with matching fluorocarbon leader (3 feet)
- Yellowtail: 40-80 pound mono top shot for flyline and dropper loop rigs, same amount (no fluorocarbon needed)
See you onboard,